Sunday, April 27, 2008

Holy #$%@ Bunnies?!

As I was digging a hole near my mom's vegetable garden to plant a fig tree (which is awesome in itself), I happened across this tiny puffball:


A tiny baby bunny, small enough to fit in my hand. He didn't seem to mind being picked up and carried, so my mother, who wanted his nibbling teeth far from her garden, suggested I bring him inside and keep him as a pet. Soon afterward we discovered his brother nearby, and it was decided we would keep that one too. So I set up a cage.


This was yesterday, and they already seem to have gotten acclimated to their new surroundings. They are energetic and strong for their size, and tend to hop for the darkest, tightest corner they can find, though they're also quite content sitting on a lap or chest for some time. They appear surprisingly fearless, considering their species is so known for being skittish.


My friend Frankie was kind enough to fetch me some pet formula (for kittens, but some experienced friends advised it would be good for bunnies), and they have managed to drink a little of it. They have shown no interest in solid food, but they don't seem to be starving.


Frankie, above, strikes a Shakespearian pose.

I have just been informed that an acquaintance from church would like to come over with her small daughter and visit the bunnies. I was surprised word had spread so quickly; I would guess Ahmie was the informant (she said as she eyed her friend suspiciously). I certainly hope I don't become an attraction for all the neighborhood children. There are only two humans under ten that I can tolerate for more than a few minutes at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment