Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Finding Religion


On March 1st, after two years of wandering agnostically between faiths, I became a Buddhist.

Like many conversions, this one took place without warning and without the consent of the convert. Some people opt to do the proper research, perhaps take a class or two, and undergo a series of ceremonial initiation rites before converting to a new religion. Some religions even require such preparation before allowing converts to call themselves members. Others have less stringent screening processes. For instance, to officially join Islam, one need only declare “There is no god but God, and Muhammad is His prophet” to a fellow Muslim (if I remember correctly), although I assume most people prefer to read some of the fine print first. I have never been one to take the proper precautions. Religion has a habit of coming to me sloppily and inconveniently, like the flu, or like falling in love.

I still do not know how or why I became a Buddhist, and am well aware that I’m not an especially good one. Off the top of my head I can name, at best, three of the Four Noble Truths, and am only sure of two or three parts of the Noble Eightfold Path. I have only a vague understanding of concepts like Dharma, Dukkha, and Samsara, and am not even all that clear on how to pronounce them.

Faith is about more than memorizing doctrine, of course. Unfortunately, my conduct and lifestyle is neither moderate nor mindful, and I am far from the universally compassionate ideal when it comes to my treatment of and regard for my fellow beings. I resent those who offend me, speak and act out of anger, and perpetuate my own and others’ suffering in many other ways. In short, I am a typically unenlightened being, unlikely to escape the cycle of rebirth any time soon.

The good news is that one need not be enlightened to be a student of the enlightened one. That’s kind of the point. After all, you need not be highly educated to go to school, and even the most educated among us could still benefit from learning more. From all I have read on the subject, enlightenment is not an exclusive club, but a gift freely available to those willing to practice.

I will have more to say on this subject later.

No comments:

Post a Comment