Sunday, June 15, 2014

All My CDs, pt 3: Worlds Collide

I’m listening to and reviewing every CD in my collection. Three down, countless to go.

Worlds Collide - Apocalyptica

You may recognize Apocalyptica as “that metal band with the cellos.” I remember learning of them many years ago when my brother, whose tastes have always been a bit more pretentious than mine, shared their visually stunning video for Path. Apparently I enjoyed their music enough to buy two of their albums, but have not listened to them very much, and cannot remember the circumstances under which I acquired this one.

In Worlds Collide, the typically instrumental Apocalyptica joins forces with various vocalists for four out of eleven tracks; the rest are in their usual metal-plus-cello instrumental style. Having been drawn to Apocalyptica because of this specific style, I am a little underwhelmed by the tracks with vocals added, which strike me as lyrically unimaginative. I don't think they would have been worth buying on their own, unless I had heard them for the first time as a teenager.

The exception is Helden, a song sung in German by Rammstein’s Till Lindemann. I enjoy it a lot, and it stands out as one of the better songs on the album as a whole. Perhaps this is because music sung in a language the listener does not personally understand is sometimes treated by the brain as a sort of hybrid between instrumentals and lyrical songs, combining aspects of both. Or perhaps I just like Rammstein.

The instrumental tracks I find appealing in a primal, nonintellectual way, much different from the way I enjoy my favorite lyrical musicians. Their mixture of acoustic and electric elements makes them sufficiently metal to satisfy my need to bang my head, but sufficiently melodic to avoid overwhelming the part of me that desires a gentler approach. I imagine they’d be good background for a workout, for heavy chores, or for sex. I know for a fact they make an excellent accompaniment for windows-down summertime highway driving.

This album may not have made it onto my most-played list, but perhaps it deserves more attention than I’ve been able to give it over the years. With my brain often overstimulated by a lifestyle centered mostly on verbal interactions, it might be healthy to enjoy good instrumental music more often, and not just what shows up on the local classical music station.

My favorite song on this album is Peace, marking the third time in a row that my favorite track has been the last on the album. Coincidence?

Next time: Amplified.

No comments:

Post a Comment