Monday, October 20, 2014

All My CDs, pt 30: Doctor Who vol. 4

Doctor Who, Original Television Series Soundtrack Vol. 4 - Murray Gold

I’ve been watching Doctor Who for a few years, and my enthusiasm for the series varies. At one point the background music of a certain episode was so ear-catching that I was moved to buy the soundtrack for that season. But I don’t often go for soundtrack music for my casual listening, so after the first few months in my car stereo it mostly languished on my shelf.

I do enjoy listening to it, though. But come to think of it, none of the soundtracks I own get very much attention from me. I think this is because listening to a soundtrack by itself is a little like eating a condiment by itself; it’s all flavor and very little substance. When I do listen to soundtracks I find I enjoy them most in the car, where there is some movement for the music to enhance by making it feel like an action scene.

But as soundtracks go, this is a good one. As in the show itself, there is a broad (very broad) range of moods and themes tracing their way through the music, as well as a lot of different kinds of sounds coming from different kinds of instruments. Most is, of course, orchestral, but there are also more modern or electronic sounds going on such as electric guitar and synthesized percussion. Voices appear as well, mostly invoking a nonverbal “choir of angels” effect or faux-foreign-language chanting; I can’t say I’m too fond of those parts but I can’t deny they are pleasant to hear.

A couple tracks stand out to me as especially evocative. “Life Among the Distant Stars” expresses perfect loneliness, even if it’s a bit cliche in execution. “The Source” is even more stirring, as is “The Greatest Story Never Told.” “A Pressing Need to Save the World” is one of the best action-sequence soundtracks I’ve ever heard, and I seem to remember it was part of that track that originally drew me toward buying the album. But above all, the penultimate track “Song of Freedom” is the one that more than anything stands alone as a beautiful piece of music.

If you’re into Doctor Who and/or soundtracks, I’d go so far as to recommend this one.

Next: Pilgrim Heart

No comments:

Post a Comment