Tuesday, December 02, 2014

All My CDs, pt. 34: Buckminster

Buckminster - Driftless Pony Club

In the current popcultural landscape, creators and creations in different media are often interconnected, with a band creating music devoted to a show or book series, an author promoting his favorite musicians, or comics centered on critique and appreciation for video games. In the case of Driftless Pony Club, I would never have heard of them if not for vocalist/guitarist Craig Benzine's mostly-unrelated (to anything) vlog. While watching his vlog of the band's tour I caught ear of some of the songs, and liked what I heard.

It’s taken me over a year to get a handle on what I like about Driftless Pony Club. Their music is pretty, but unpretentious, and occasionally shows some rough edges but still shines in other areas. They employ the conventional rock configuration of lead and backup vocals, guitars, bass, drums, and keyboard, with few other instruments appearing. I’m not sure how much of my enjoyment of the music is derived from my knowledge of its members from their appearances on Craig Benzine’s vlog and other videos he’s made (watching a vlog for an extended period can often begin to feel like friendship). Regardless, I do enjoy their music.

Buckminster in particular is an example of a concept album I was too ignorant to recognize at first. The songs' lyrics contain numerous references to the life, work, and philosophy of Buckminster Fuller. I had heard of him, but only as the namesake of "buckyballs" and designer of geodesic domes. Since then my knowledge has expanded to include a few quotes and biographical errata, but I have neglected to familiarize myself more fully with him and his life. I have little doubt that once I have, I will suddenly understand more of the lyrics on this album.

It's fair to mention another contributor to my general lack of understanding. The vocal tracks are often not balanced with the instrumental ones such that the words are easy to hear, and the CD's liner notes do not include song lyrics. I am not complaining per se. One aspect is a musical aesthetic choice, the other a visual one, and neither is objectively wrong. Nevertheless, it does make the intellectual meanings of the songs rather obscure.

Personally, I’m not sure if more attention on the vocals would actually help Driftless Pony Club’s musical quality, since voice isn’t where the band gets their beauty. In my opinion, that beauty lies wherever the catchiest melodic refrain is - whether it’s in the vocals, a guitar riff, or wherever. Those moments are relatively understated, but worth watching out for.

Next: Magnicifent

No comments:

Post a Comment