Monday, February 23, 2015

All My CDs, pt 45: :ankoku butoh:

:ankoku butoh: - Faith and the Muse

Ankoku Butoh is the latest and best album by this beloved band. Where Annwyn, Beneath the Waves used both ancient and modern musical styles to explore Celtic mythology, Ankoku Butoh does a similar thing with Japanese culture and lore. But, being a Western band, Faith and the Muse's treatment of the subject matter isn't that of a native, but of an enthusiastic and affectionate outsider. I do not think the resulting product suffers for this, and in fact I love it very dearly, but as I am not familiar with Japanese culture I cannot judge the faithfulness of their appropriation. I can only tell you what I like.

And there is nothing here I do not like. From the first wordless vocalization in The Woman in the Snow to the eerie synthesis of electric guitar, bowed strings, and defiant lyrics in To Be Continued, this is an hour of music that makes me want to believe in magic. Many tracks blend rock, orchestral, and ancient instruments seamlessly, but not homogeneously.

Blessed is more contemporary-sounding. Battle Hymn and Nine Dragons are like primal warcries infused with the frenetic energy of punk. Bushido is a taiko drum piece, nothing more. But it doesn’t need to be anything more. The sheer power of this thunderous and yet subtly woven drumming, naked of any other instruments, is hypnotic to behold. Kodama tells a satirical parable, sung in a whisper, over a jazzy background. I shouldn’t like it, judging by my usual tastes (it’s similar in some ways to Gone to Ground, which I never liked), and yet I love it.

My feelings on the matter shift with time, but at the moment no song captures my attention as insistently as She Waits By The Well. To me, the menacing words, the driving force of the melody, and the echoing beat of frantic drums express all the desperation and uncaring passion of a love that cannot abide by loss. Nothing is more terrifying.

I bought Ankoku Butoh shortly after its release in late 2009, and at the same time learned that their upcoming tour of performances promoting the album would include a show in my own town, within walking distance of home. I immediately jumped at the opportunity to finally see one of my favorite bands live. That show is and will remain one of my most valued memories, and one that can never be repeated. After a long and late night of beauty, William Faith announced that their last song of the evening would be Sovereign, because they wanted to leave us with its message in our minds and hearts. That message is one of power, friendship, and encouragement to all who may feel neglected, denied, or marginalized - all of us, at some time or another.

Come out, come out wherever you hide
Time to stand and walk with pride
There’s a look in your eye
I could never deny
And it means the world 
Tonight

Thank you.

Next: Save Rock and Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment