Monday, March 16, 2015

All My CDs, pt 49: Family Album

Family Album - Faun Fables

There were two songs that had come up on my Pandora station and sparked a curiosity about this odd little band. Roadkill led me to buy The Transit Rider, and Eternal led me to this album. I love everything about Eternal: the catchy tune, the bow-wow of the rhythmic bass, and best of all the lyrics.

With my hair on, it’s easy.
It’s something I can hide behind
I like what is not easy,
just love me as the bald kind.
I want to be loved for my skull, 
my little parietal bone.
I want the men to go crazy for
my charming occipital bone

Now who could argue with that?

In my review of The Transit Rider I spoke of Faun Fables’s strangeness and how that attracts me, and how it makes me want to take this music by the hand and run off with it into the woods where no-one will ever hurt us for being different. (Maybe I didn’t put it quite that way.) Well, this album is even more so. Every song seems to express some sense of otherness and vulnerability, and at the same time strength and courage that will not be bossed around. Eternal is a great example of the kind of strength I’m talking about: the kind it takes to lay one’s self bare and expect, nay demand, to be loved without condition.

And what is being brashly, nakedly presented here? Weird, sometimes nonsensical lyrics. Animal noises used as an instrument. Breathy, rapid flute-playing. A child singing tunelessly to herself. Singers singing badly on purpose. And I love it all. I find that, really, that is all I have to say.

Next: Obsolete

No comments:

Post a Comment