Monday, June 08, 2015

All My CDs, pt 67: I Wanted to Call Out

I Wanted to Call Out - Ivan & the Inkdrops

A few years ago I was at a party with a group of Bohemian arty types. I knew very few folks there but still felt quite at home because they let me read poetry aloud and others followed suit. One of the guests, Ivan, was an out-of-towner with a guitar and harmonica and a box of CDs he was selling to fund his travels; I greatly enjoyed the songs he played for us and bought a CD. Far from a mere act of charity, the purchase proved to be very much worthwhile.

The six songs here range from folk-influenced indy in the vein of Indigo Girls to more contemporary indy rock that reminds me of the likes of Sufjan Stevens. The lyrics waver between light and cheery to more cynical-sounding. (One song begins "does the world not understand your jokes or are you just not funny?")

Yet there does not appear to be a thematic inconsistency. The more idyllic, nature-inspired imagery still has a tangy taste to it. Autumn Strawberry is about finding unexpected sweetness when the world is beginning to turn cold. I'd be quite unsurprised to learn that it and Late Bloomer are inspired by the same story.

My favorite song at the moment is Cheerio. It has the virtue of being catchy and singable without being too poppish, and exemplifies much of the best indy music I've heard.

I feel fortunate to have had my first taste of some of these songs in the form of a live performance in an intimate, casual setting. Like much folk music, it seems most enjoyable when heard live, preferably while singing along. Since each of the songs contains at least one portion of call-and-response or repetitive background vocals they are intentionally suited for audience participation.

In reviewing this CD I have reaffirmed my belief in the value of live performances, especially in intimate settings. It makes music seem less of a commodity than a communion, and we need more of that in our society.

Next: Original Masters

No comments:

Post a Comment