Monday, August 31, 2015

All My CDs, pt 91: Falling Farther In

Falling Farther In - October Project

In early 2009, I was visiting a friend, who took that opportunity to load up my laptop with several hours’ worth of music she thought I might enjoy. She sent me home with it, with no instructions beyond to explore and appreciate, which I did. When the laptop eventually went the way of all flesh, I lost all that data, and this album was the first thing I sought to replace from the collection.

October Project was an utterly unique band that existed in the 90s just long enough to release two albums. The music has elements of pop and rock, but with a depth of soulfulness that most examples of either do not quite reach. Vocalist Mary Fahl’s voice is deep and rich, and yet light and pure and full of joy. And the lyrics are something entirely unmatched.

During the year that I discovered and fell in love with October Project, I was also getting heavily into Christian mysticism, and as far as I could tell the songs on this album are about nothing else. This is never more true than for the first track, Deep As You Go, which to me is the definitive song not just of the album, but of the band. It describes a love so deep and profound that it is compared to drowning:

Somehow I need to love you
more than I need to breathe

Yet it’s not the desperate, clinging love that such self-obliteration usually implies. Instead, it’s a wholehearted and trusting love, one to gladly follow deep as it goes, no matter what. To me, that’s what mysticism is at its core, no matter what religion you believe in. During the year 2009, if I had a deeply spiritual experience, a song from this album was either playing or not far from my mind at the time.

I see the rest of the songs as variations on the same theme, but each quite unique and able to stand alone. And since mysticism is something best not expressed in words alone, I doubt a review of any length would do justice to my own experience. But the same is true of all music, isn’t it? And I’ve written ninety reviews so far.

Next: October Project

No comments:

Post a Comment