Tuesday, October 20, 2015

All My CDs, pt. 103: Toxicity

Toxicity - System of a Down

This is the first CD I ever bought. For real. A used record shop, Spectra, had just opened around the corner from home; I saw this album on the rack and recognized the title of a song I’d enjoyed on the radio. I didn’t even like heavy metal at the time, except when some of the softer hits trickled into my alternative music station and mere exposure effect gradually desensitized me. I was young and still very noise-sensitive.

I didn’t really develop my deep love of System of a Down until years later, when I got Mesmerize, and I haven’t paid much attention to this particular album for over a decade. There are songs on it that endure in my memory, of course - hits like Chop Suey, Aerials, and Toxicity which everyone probably knows if they’re at all aware of the metal/alternative scene of the turn of the century. But giving the whole album a wholehearted listen-through after all these years, I found that it reminded me of everything I love about System of a Down, and why it remains one of my absolute favorites:

1. Shamelessly barefaced politicism. As much as I’ve raved about the power of ambiguity in art, there’s something to be said about pushing an agenda and pushing it so directly as to leave no room for interpretation. There’s no doubt about, for instance, the message encased in Prison Song. Among other things, it’s saying:

All research and successful drug policy shows that treatment should be increased
and law enforcement decreased while abolishing mandatory minimum sentences

This is pure poetry. And pure politics. How many bands can do both at once without being preachy? I’m looking at you, U2.

2. Vocals that do everything. Since childhood I’ve gone from enjoying Serj Tankian’s vocals in spite of the occasional screamyness to because of it. There’s something very powerful about metal’s use of throat-burningly emotive screams that I don’t think I could reasonably do without in my life, and I think System of a Down has the perfected the art - and yet can also sing well in a more conventional style. If you doubt it, listen to Aerials. And on top of that, they can do some decent birdsounds too.

3. No such thing as TMI. Want politics? Got it. Spirituality? Got it. Pulling a tapeworm out of your ass? It’s set to a catchy tune interspersed with “Hey!” Sexuality? Pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo pogo...

4. A mixture of ancient and modern, acoustic and electric, whatever you want to call that combination that seems to make music sound timeless and eternal.

5. Spirituality. When they want to be, their lyrics are profoundly meaningful:

Life is a waterfall
we’re one in the river 
and one again after the fall

What I love about System of a Down is everything I love about music.

Next: Steal This Album!

No comments:

Post a Comment