Thursday, November 05, 2015

All My CDs, pt. 108: Imperfect Harmonies

Imperfect Harmonies - Serj Tankian

Some time after Elect the Dead, I discovered that Serj Tankian had released another solo album, and immediately jumped at the opportunity to buy it. The first time I put it on, the first note of the first song startled me out of my skin; it seemed that every instrument that ever existed had joined together in unison to blast a hole through my consciousness. If nothing else, just listen to the first few measures of Disowned, Inc; you’ll hopefully see what I mean.

The awesomeness of this album is such that it almost overshadowed the awesomeness of its predecessor. For a time I neglected Elect the Dead, although writing my last review had the effect of making me appreciate it a lot more. I still think Imperfect Harmonies is the better album, but it’s a short distance between them, and I love both quite a lot.

What is it about this album? About Serj Tankian in general? It’s hard to find words that I haven’t already said, and that don’t sound like mere adulative blather. The lyrics are more poetic. The music is more grand and far-reaching. And I consider it a treat to hear Yes, It’s Genocide, sung in Armenian,  which so poignantly highlights the Armenian genocide and all other genocides throughout history.

The song that follows it, Peace Be Revenged, is one of the most thoughtful and powerful inditements of modern society I have ever encountered in song form. Several other songs are fair contenders as well, such as Borders Are...

Borders are the gallows
of our collective national egos
subjective lines in sand
in the water separating everything

Fear is the cause of separation
Backed with illicit conversations
Procured by constant condemnations
National blood-painted persuasions

It’s true that the words can sound a bit preachy, but as they say, some anvils need to be dropped. And as I’ve explained before, sometimes I like my sociopolitical commentary to be blatant and unabashed. In my next review, something else will be blatant and unabashed.

Next: 200 km/h in the Wrong Lane

No comments:

Post a Comment