Friday, June 08, 2007

inability

I've spent the last few hours trying to maneuver around the buggy system of Blackboard, which is the site where I must take my online English course this summer. I hate it. More often than not when I open a thread in the discussion board, the text doesn't show up at all. Every time I open a link, a dialogue box tells me the page contains "unsecure items", and asks me if I'm sure I want to open it. It never goes away the first time I click "okay". All the while, deadlines get closer with alarming speed.

To make matters worse, I'm denied the satisfaction of physical violence. As much as I feel like firmly grabbing my laptop and smashing it against the wall, I must refrain even from pushing a single button as it makes its glacial way through the sludge of information. More than once today it has reduced me to screams of frustration. The sense of futility and weakness is overwhelming.

Appropriately, one of the readings I've been required to write about for this course is a narrative by a woman with MS about her attitude toward her disability. As a physically able but frequently mentally incapacitated person, I could relate to a lot of the sentiments described in the essay. My response to it had a very personal flavor, citing my own personal experiences, and I hope that doesn't negatively impact my grade. Actually, I'm counting on it giving me an advantage. What good is hardship if you can't milk it for attention?

No comments:

Post a Comment